Monday, January 30, 2012

The Idea of Perfection

Zechariah 4:6 says,

"So he answered and said to me:
"This is the word of the Lord to Zerubbabel:
'Not by might
nor by power,
but by My Spirit,'
says the Lord of Hosts."


We can't enter heaven by works.

We can't even live life as a Christian by works.

It doesn't matter what you do or how well or how bad you do it.

Because we were redeemed to God by grade through the blood of Jesus Christ.


Sometimes as a teenager I constantly worry that I never get it right. I worry that I don't always get things perfectly lined up, and at times I stand looking or watching other ministers, leaders, students or teachers, people younger than me or older than me and I have a moment where I ponder over how well they seem to have it all together and so I find myself pursuing this endless idea that I'm suppose to be better, or perfect, and have everything together. The idea was once put in me (somehow, I'm not sure) that when I do everything in fullness and get something "perfectly" that people will see that I love God and want to pursue him, too.


But the goal is NOT perfection.
How can someone even define perfection, anyways?


It's not by works.
Nor by how well you can do math.
No matter how well you can help people or how well you can manage a business or do a job or complete your school work or witness to people or lie to people...
Perfection doesn't matter. Because we weren't made to be perfect.
It's by grace that a leader can lead. Not by how perfect he does the job.

No comments:

Post a Comment