Thursday, September 12, 2013

A Musician's Tangent.

So, many people know that I'm musical. But some don't know how rooted in music I really am. When I was 13 I concluded that I was never good enough to learn an instrument other than the flute in band. But my youth pastor prayed over me and told me to pick up an instrument and learn it, because she saw that God put some anointing on me with music and that he would "do great things" through me. I just looked at her and was like "are you kidding me? I'll never be a Misty Edwards or a Kim Walker. But whatever."
So I picked up the bass guitar, which led to singing, then piano, then synth. So I determined later that, perhaps God did gift me with music. Things develop and change over time. These days I want to be in a world-traveling worship band and ministry team. Yes friends, I would give up college and real education to go around the world and share Jesus and music with people. These days I walk around composing music in my head. Not composition like Beethoven, but new sounds I keep hearing. It's frustrating because I'll hear these amazing sound mixes and chord progressions in my head that are different- like a NEW sound- something unique. But ten minutes later I will have forgotten them. And I never remember them. And I go and sit down at my keyboard and try to think of something new, but nothing creative like I heard earlier in my head comes.

 So I look up to God and I'm like "DUDE WHAT EVEN IS THIS  SUPPOSE TO MEAN!?!?"
 
and he just whispers,

"Get ready for the next step."

1 comment: