Thursday, August 30, 2012

The Pattern of Self-Denial



"Do I say these things as a  mere man? Or does not the law say the same also?  For it is written in the law of Moses, “You shall not muzzle an ox while it treads out the grain.” 
 Is it oxen God is concerned about? Or does He say it altogether for our sakes
 For our sakes, no doubt, this is written, that he who plows should plow in hope, and he who threshes in hope should be partaker of his hope. If we have sown spiritual things for you, is it a great thing if we reap your material things? If others are partakers of this right over you, are we not even more?
Nevertheless we have not used this right, but endure all things lest we hinder the gospel of Christ. 


Do you not know that those who minister the holy things eat of the things of the temple, and those who serve at the altar partake of the offerings of the altar? Even so the Lord has commanded that those who preach the gospel should live from the gospel." - 1 Corinthians 9:8-13





 

Sometimes it's difficult to remember what keeps you going when you're in a place where there is constant questioning of who you are. Identity crisis is our generation's biggest issue. Everyone has dealt with it at some point in their life, but now, in this time and age, it seems to run deeper than just what you're going to be when you grow up and what your life purpose is. Yes, the generation that is called to great things and that is rising up in the end times that will stand before Jesus Christ suffers daily persecution, and we suffer persecution from our peers by constantly being questioned about who we are. We are questioned when we walk into school and look around at different cliques, wondering where we belong. We are questioned when we feel threatened of our security. We are questioned when we feel like an outcast. We are questioned when we notice that we're different.
Truthfully,  sometimes society questions us. But most of the time it's us questioning ourselves.

  

Sometimes I have to stop in my tracks and listen to God in the midst of running. Sometimes I have to go out in the field of my front yard and stand beneath the trees and just ask God to speak to me as I close my eyes, attempt to clear my busy head, and listen. As I did this and flipped open my bible, I landed on this page and began to read the scripture above.

 

To be honest, insecurity, the fear of the judgement of man, and questioning myself have been my past weaknesses. I have gotten scared when I would feel like I didn't have a place or when I would feel like an outcast, and then I  would begin questioning myself and feeling like I have to change myself in order to be liked by other people (which is a waste of time). At this point, when I feel that (which usually coincides with not having spent an adequate amount of face-time with Jesus in my room and reading the word) this is when God is like "YO. Quit worrying so much about what all of these people think of you, and keep your eyes on the prize at the end of the race. The opinion of man is so temporal and it doesn't even matter when you're obeying me, so quit paying so much attention to it! I accept you and I love you."



So when we start getting an identity crisis within ourselves, or we begin questioning ourselves, we've got to look at the word! God's word never changes or fails. It is the same yesterday, today, and forever. As long as we see that, we will never lose sight of who we are or what we're suppose to be doing. And when we feel ourselves getting lost again, we can always and should always look back and meditate on that. Lets eat of the holy things of the temple so that when we interact with other people we're shedding light in their lives instead of draining them. Let's speak about things that matter and that edify others.

1 Corinthians 9 is good to read... So check it out in your bible time if you can. :)



Thank you for reading and have a blessed week!


Love, 
Hannah






1 comment:

  1. this is good. i'm not even in high school or your generation, but it applies to life at any age. i especially love what you said God said to you. i intend to quote this on fb.

    ReplyDelete